Friday, January 31, 2014

The Amazing Evergreen

Many of you have children. That means you remember having a 3-year-old. A 3-year-old doesn't really say much. HAHAHAHAHA. I just threw that in for my friends who don't have children. We all know a 3-year-old talks constantly. Constantly. And they really only ever want to know one thing: What is that? How does it work? How did it get made? What is this string for? Oops, how did it get broken? Where did it come from? How old was I when it got there? What is it going to be like tomorrow? Why? How? Yeah, but WHY?????

I like to answer all these questions, again and again. Much like I enjoy holding something heavy for a very long time. Because otherwise how could I get stronger and better? Patience is just another muscle, right? Let's flex that baby! Is that all you've got Jayd?? You're not even TRYING to wear me out!! In reality, I want to answer all these questions because she's thinking and learning, and for a very short time she wants to talk to ME. Constantly. I know I will ache for these days when she is 15 and in her room for 16 hours a day listening to some kind of music genre that hasn't even been invented yet.

Occasionally though, we get the treat of her explaining something to me instead of asking me to explain things. These are the sweetest moments. She is so matter-of-fact, and interjects appropriate teaching lingo like, "you get it?" It's cool sometimes to realize that she understands a concept that I wouldn't think is very important to her (ie, it doesn't have to do with princesses). Mommy, when you eat, that gives you energy. You need energy to do other things, like run in a circle with your friends before dance class. You get it? Yes Jayd, I get it. It's especially rewarding when she throws in, "you never knew how to get energy before! Now you do! Isn't that AMAZING?!" Haha. Yes, Jayd, that is incredible! Shortly afterwards she will say something like, "why isn't that car moving? Maybe they ran out of gas. Cars need gas for energy just like we need food." Yep! I have a baby genius on my hands. I KNEW IT.

And that brings me to the amazing evergreen. Jayd was telling me all about evergreens. "They stay green all year, and the cold doesn't kill them. But sometimes they die from other things..." I promise I'm listening, but I admit I'm sorta doing the mom uh-huh from the front seat while she talks and I'm also, sort-of going over the list of things I'm out to buy, thinking of the best way to hit the stores without letting frozen things melt or drive to the same area twice. "...And sometimes they blow over in wind, and sometimes they are cut down."

"uh-huh"

"And sometimes you take a pine tree and you put it in the oven to bake it and it turns more yellow and then you put sugar on it and you bake it again and that's how you get PINEAPPLE!"

"Wait, what?" LOL. Actually baby, pineapple is a whole different thing, but they both include the word pine, and they are both plants, and pineapple is sweet as if someone added sugar. As I say this to her I think to myself, SHE IS A GENIUS!  So if anyone is interested, I think I'm going to set up the Jayd school of horticulture. Because until now, you never even KNEW how we got pineapple. And now you do! It's AMAZING.

Almost as amazing as the evergreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment