Tuesday, January 21, 2014

In a time before the hashtag #isthatonewordortwo

Sorry I've been gone so long. My computer broke 18 months ago and we all know typing out an exciting blog on an ipad keyboard would take me the same effort as writing it out in blood from pricking my own finger. But I got a new laptop for Christmas, so I can start boring you again with my two obsessions - my super awesome amazing daughter and my running (note, nothing super awesome or amazing about that. But I love it).

So, about the hashtag. Many of you have seen the Justin Timberlake SNL video about this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57dzaMaouXA&noredirect=1
I don't belong to Twitter yet, so I haven't found the opportunity to excessively use the hashtag. However I do see it in everyone else's posts and #ikindofgetit. #Anyremainingthoughtafteryoursentenceendsjustgetsaddedhere. #omgitscrazy.

I would try to get some kind of old lady and behind-the-times paranoia about how my daughter will never learn when words end and new ones begin, except I have had this "compound word" problem my whole life. I don't think I'm alone either. My old boss once busted one of her employees for "not working" when he asked if spider monkey (spidermonkey?) were one word or two. She later busted me, actually, for asking how to spell Leprechaun, but that actually was sort-of about work, and also is completely unrelated to compound words. So just forget I mentioned it.

OK, OK, so I doubt you use the word(s) spider monkey every day. But what about carseat. I send a text that I'll just pick my daughter up from school and she can get a little catnap in her carseat. Which turns into a big mess, because my overbearing control freak of a phone wants me to use "real" words. It turns catnap into Camaro and Carseat into Corset. So suddenly my child is getting a Camero in her corset - which just sounds more uncomfortable than anything wimpy Scarlett O'Hara had to endure with her Mammy pulling on those dang strings to give her an 18 inch waist again. I mean, right? The holidays were unkind to my body, but I still doubt a Camero would fit into any of my undergarments.

So I guess I just need to learn how to separate my words. Maybe the hashtag is my saving grace. While I know it's supposed to be written never mind, I could still be right if I just wrote #nevermindthewholething #myworkhereisdone #desertgirlout






No comments:

Post a Comment